Situated on the N12, halfway between Cape Town and Johannesburg in the Northern Cape province of South Africa. It makes for an ideal stopover point for holiday makers or businessmen on a long journey. It lies between two mountains and has grown into a thriving Karoo town. The town hosted the Agri Expo Show of the year in February 2004.
Victoria West is steeped in tradition, has a long history and an atmosphere of pride and friendliness. Victoria West was founded in 1843 when the Dutch Reformed Church bought a part of the farm Zeekoegat from Mr J.H. Claassens. The town was then named after Queen Victoria of England. Later, when a similarly named district was formed in the Eastern Cape, “West” was added to the back of the name in order to distinguish it from it’s eastern counterpart. The town in the Eastern Cape was then called Victoria East.