Hermits Wood Campsite
Hermits Wood Rustic Campsite
If you looking for a nice rustic campsite this is for you, run by Ezemvelo Wildlife KZN they really do a good job here.
It is Situated in Garden Castle Maloti Drakensberg World Heritage site
- 10 x Campsites set beside a grove of tall trees, with a backdrop of Rhino Peak and lookout onto Garden Castle Nature Reserve.
- Multiple hiking routes to caves and valleys.
- 100 metres in front of the campsite runs the pebbled Mlambonja River. If you walk to Mermaid’s Pool (roughly in line with number 10 campsite), the river becomes a narrow, fast-flowing torrent that carves between rocks to form cool gullies and swimming pools.
- After a sunset picnic here, make your way back to your camp and light a fire. There’s a communal gas freezer in the washing area, two toilets and two gas-powered showers that really work well
- It is reachable by all types of vehicles
- The Rhino 18km Duration 8 – 10 Hours Grade Extreme
- Hidden valley 18km Duration 6 – 10 Hours Grade Moderate
- Pillar Cave 9km return Duration 3 – 4 Hours Grade Fair
- Sleeping Beaty Cave 8km Duration 5 Hours Grade Fair with moderate steeper parts
How to get there
Go through Underberg towards Kokstad R617. Turn right onto the MR 317 to Drakensberg Gardens. This road ends at Drakensberg Gardens Gate. Proceed through the entrance gate and follow the signs to the reserve.
The only way to book is to dial below number, and you have to pay cash on arrival